Gmail, Google Apps, Google Docs... It seems Google is taking over the world. Seriously, when was the last time you heard someone say "I know, I'll Yahoo it"? Personally I can't even tell you off the top of my head what the yahoo search engine looks like. This may be due to the fact that the last time I 'Yahood' I would have been in a pinafore dress in junior school.
Google has come a long way from the days in which it was just a second though search engine. Believe it or not, the company which emerged from a back garage in California, made $29.32 billion in 2010 and has approximately 7.5 billion visits a day.
So how does Google make its money? Ads, ads and more ads. Have you ever noticed the sponsored results you see when performing a Google Search? Google AdWords is an auction based advertising program, which allows advertisers to deliver their content in line with specific search queries. Every time we click the links to these sites, the Google money tin gets a little heavier. A great advertising medium for companies to reach their target audience don't you think?
The global Google Empire also includes Google Voice, Shopping, Books, Translate, Navigator, Youtube and wait, look at where we all are... Blogger!
And I can't forget the amazing Google Earth and Google Maps. Only the other day, I was strolling the streets of Singapore whilst lounging in the comfort of my bed in Perth. Prior to their arrival who knew that we would ever be able to visit the Great Wall of China and then pop on over to the Eiffel Tower in a matter of clicks? What will be next...Google TV or how about Google Airways? Watch out Richard Branson!
Fun Fact: The name 'Google' is a play on the word 'Googol,' a mathematical term for the number one, followed by 100 zeros. Larry Page & Sergey Brin branded their company by this name as it reflects the mission to organise what seems like an infinite amount of information on the web.

No comments:
Post a Comment